The SOUTH Plants were start to be built in 1972 as a stand-alone refinery originally called ISAB (Industry of Sicilian Asphalt and Bitumen). The plants went into production in 1975 with a refining capacity of 11 million tonnes of crude oil per year, which was increased in 1997 to 12 million tonnes.
The NORTH Plants, build in the mid — 1950's as a petrochemical site originally called SINCAT (Catanese Industrial Company), went into production in the sixties with a refining capacity of over 17 million tonnes. After various assignments and transfers, the last to ENI AGIP, the ERG Group bought the North Plants (Refineries, Tanks area, Jetties) in 2002, joining it with the SOUTH Plants to create a "Super-site" refinery called ERG Raffinerie Mediterranee — Raffineria ISAB.
In 2008, ERG sold to LUKOIL a 49% share in ISAB, with a so called "put" option. Following the exercise, in various tranches, by ERG of the put option, on 1st January 2014, LUKOIL became the sole stakeholder of ISAB.